Foxtail millet, called ‘Thinai’ in Tamil, has been a staple diet among people of Tamil Nadu for a long time from the sangam period. It is most often quoted in the old Tamil texts and is commonly associated with Lord Muruga and his consort Valli. Foxtail millets are free from pests and do not need any fumigants. These millets are rich in B vitamins, especially niacin, B6 and folic acid, as well as the minerals calcium, iron, potassium, magnesium and zinc. They also control blood sugar and cholesterol levels & increase HDL cholesterol. It is high in carbohydrates and rich in dietary fibre.
Namma Veedu offers high and fine quality thinai which is cultivated organically to all our customers, so that you and your family can enjoy the taste and health benefits of our traditional grains.
Benefits of Foxtail Millet:
- Prevents anaemia since it is rich in iron
- Reduces blood sugar level and LDL (bad cholesterol)
- Increases HDL (good cholesterol)
- Helps us to keep our body strong and immune
- Natural source of protein and iron
- Very easy to digest and prevents constipation
- Contains high amount of lecithin which strengthens the nervous system